In our experience, the best first aid Instructors have background experience in first aid,
healthcare and safety, but more importantly, they understand how to teach adults. I have
hired many first aid Instructors who have been fire fighters, police officers, doctors, nurses and
paramedics, but my most successful Instructors have always been adult educators. Adult
educators do not try to put too much information into the first aid course, they don’t bring in
too many “field stories” that have little relevance to the average first aider, and they know how
to teach in terms the client will understand.
The term, In-Plant Instructor, refers to a company employee who has been trained and certified
to provide first aid training to their company’s employees. Many larger companies choose this
option for convenience and economy. A company who has an employee, who already does
training for them in other areas, may want to consider adding First Aid certification to their
portfolio of courses they teach.
In the words of an In-Plant client…….
At VWR International, employee health and safety are paramount to our operation.
The ability to maintain a safe working environment while maintaining budgetary
demands is a perfect combination of associate and fiscal responsibility. Having an In-
Plant St John Ambulance Instructor has allowed VWR to do just that.
The In-Plant Instructor also works with our JHSC to ensure that all First Aid kits, First
Aid rooms and our Automatic External Defibrillator are maintained, functional and in
readiness should they be required.
Training in Standard First Aid, CPR and AED at a greatly reduced price, on a schedule
that meets the demand of our operation has allowed us to not only meet WSIB
requirements, but to surpass them, ensuring a healthy and safe workplace.
Logistics Manager- Canada
Benefits of In-Plant Training
- First Aid, CPR and AED classes can be arranged at the convenience of the company
and its employees. The times of the course, numbers in the class and the dates are
entirely at your convenience and not subject to the restrictions of hiring outside
- Training is easily customized to the company’s particular requirements and hazards.
- First aid instruction can be provided to all employees in the company, increasing
employee safety both at work and at home. Certification fees only apply to those that
you are required to have certificates issued for.
- Studies show that people trained in first aid have fewer injuries. Companies can
benefit from the cost savings realized by having less employee down time due to
- First Aid training can be easily incorporated into new employee orientation programs.
- Re-certifications are quick and easy to arrange, reducing the chance of overlooking
employee certificate expiry dates.
- Your Instructor can organize regular refresher workshops or lunch and learn sessions
to keep employee knowledge and skills sharp. No fees apply for non-certificate
- Your St. John Ambulance certified Instructor will be trained on the latest adult
education techniques during their Instructor certification course. These skills are
directly transferrable to other employee training programs.
- Preferred client pricing on workplace first aid kits, supplies and AEDs.
- Free first aid comprehensive assessments to help you meet your regulatory
- Annual reports on employee certifications.
- St. John Ambulance will be your partner in first aid, and will provide continuing
education to your Instructor to ensure their skills are current.
St. John Ambulance In-Plant Training Program
St. John Ambulance is Canada’s leading authority in
first aid and the preferred choice by employers for
workplace safety-oriented training*. St. John
Ambulance is committed to providing the most
thorough courses, the best student resource
manuals and the greatest variety of training options.
We are pleased to present to you our In-Plant
Training option, which has been selected by many
companies who want the on-site expertise and
flexibility of having their own St. John Ambulance
certified Instructor on staff.
*Innovative Research Group, Inc. August 2011
Submitted by Dianne Rende, Executive Director of St. John Ambulance, Peel Dufferin
Branch. As Canada’s leading authority in first aid, St. John Ambulance is dedicated to
improving health and safety at work, at home and at play. For more information visit www.sja.ca.