Who We Are
The Erindale College Special Response Team (ECSpeRT) is a division of St. John Ambulance located at the University of Toronto at Mississauga (UTM). We are a team of volunteer Medical First Responders who provide first aid coverage to all students, staff, and visitors of the UTM campus. ECSpeRT members also regularly assist with first aid duties of the Mississauga Division of St. John Ambulance.
Most of ECSpeRT’s current members are undegraduate students at UTM. All active responders hold valid certifications in the First Aid CPR Level C/AED course as well as the Medical First Responder course from St. John Ambulance. All of our members participate in on-going first aid training every other week.
ECSpeRT routinely provides first aid coverage for UTM events such as Orientation Week, Fall Campus Day, March Break Open House, Rez Gym Nights, as well as many other sporting events held around campus. Since 2008, ECSpeRT has also begun implementing on-call first aid coverage from 10 AM to 10 PM when classes are in session. All ECSpeRT members on duty will be wearing clearly identifiable uniforms that consist of black pants, black shoes, and a red shirt or a red jacket bearing the ECSpeRT logo.
For general inquiries, please contact us at [email protected] or come visit us at Room 210K in the Student Centre (next to the Medium office and above the InfoBooth).
Are you looking for extracurricular/volunteering experience while enrolled at UTM where you get to learn and practice hands-on life-saving skills?
Do you enjoy helping others?
Do you enjoy working in a team atmosphere?
Do you have a valid First Aid CPR Level C certificate*?
If you answered YES! to all of the above questions, you’ve come to the right place! ECSpeRT is ALWAYS looking to recruit people like you to become part of our team!
The Application Process:
1. Come visit us at our office located at Room 210K in the Student Centre to pick up an application package, which includes a Criminal Background Check form that each candidate must submit to the local police agency corresponding to his/her place of residence.
2. Fill out the application package and return it to us.
3. ECSpeRT’s Member Selection Committee will go through each application individually and determine each candidate’s suitability for the team.
4. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview with our executive members.
5. Candidates who are successful in the interview will be accepted into the team as an observer. At this point the candidate may accompany active members on a call and provide assistance to the primary responders. Observers may not assess patients on calls.
6. Once spaces become available, observers will be enrolled in a Medical First Responder course with St. John Ambulance to learn advanced first aid skills. Observers who succesfully pass the Medical First Responder course will then become an active responder of ECSpeRT, provided that his/her Criminal Background Check clears.
Erindale College Special Response Team (ECSpeRT)
Room SC-210K, University of Toronto at Mississauga
3359 Mississauga Road North
Mississauga, ON, L5L 1C6
ECSpeRT’s office is located in Room 210K in the Student Centre at the University of Toronto at Mississauga. Between the hours of 10 AM and 10 PM on weekdays when classes are in session, there will be at least two members in the office to respond to calls or answer any questions you may have regarding ECSpeRT or first aid. So feel free to come in and chat with us!
If you are not requesting immediate first aid assistance, please refrain from visiting the office between 6 PM to 10 PM on weekdays as these hours are designated Quiet Hours for our night shift on-call members. We thank you for your understanding.